Reopening Campus for Fall 2020
This page was last updated on July 30, 2020.
Given the high community transmission rates of COVID-19 in our city, our COVID Task Force has determined that we must adjust our plan for the start of the school year as follows:
- Preschool will begin on August 19, as scheduled, with in-person classes.
- Lower School will have a delayed start to the school year. These grades will begin on Tuesday, September 8 with in-person classes. Parents may opt to stream classes at home if they are not comfortable sending their children to campus.
- Middle School and Upper School will begin on August 19 with online learning that follows an adjusted daily schedule. These grades will return to campus on Tuesday, September 8 for in-person classes following our normal daily schedule. Parents may opt to stream classes at home if they are not comfortable sending their children to campus.
We believe this plan prioritizes the safety of our students and faculty, facilitates a smooth transition to the new school year for our Lower School students, and enables our older students to initiate their classwork before transitioning to in-person learning.
Our Lower, Middle, and Upper Schools have each created a document that outlines their procedures for the school year. These documents contain information on hygiene protocols, social distancing, and procedures for students who will be streaming classes at home. We encourage you to closely read the plan(s) relevant to your family.
To help our teachers prepare for our return to in-person learning, we ask that you confirm whether your child will attend school in person or stream classes from home. Please do so by completing the form linked below for each student in your household. The deadline for submission is Friday, August 7.
We are committed to delivering the Saint Thomas' Episcopal School mission through on-campus programming, while also supporting those who are unable to be on campus due to illness or significant health risk. In order to safely reopen campus, we are assessing information, acting decisively, and developing guidelines and procedures in service of our community.
The following principles guide our plan for reopening campus:
- Protect the health and safety of students and staff
- Be compliant with government orders and guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Texas Department of State Health Services
- Establish effective use of spaces to support physical distancing across campus
- Provide a school day experience with as many familiar routines as possible
How You Can Help
Prepare your child that some school routines will be the same and some will be different. We ask you to partner with STE to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and other viruses by:
See the links below for overall campus procedures, as well as information pertaining to specific divisions.
Please understand that our plans and procedures may change based on updates to guidance from state and county authorities, the Houston Health Department, and the CDC.
If you have specific questions, please feel free to contact us using the button below. You will get a response within the week.