Saint Thomas’ Episcopal School (STE) is proud to nurture the minds of students from across the globe. As a college preparatory school, our program is selective, admission standards are high, and only fully-qualified students are accepted.
Very Important: STE does not provide housing, transportation, medical insurance, or English as a second language classes for international students. Proficiency in reading and writing in English is required.
STE is an official partner of New Oasis International Education. New Oasis assists international students with the cultural transition to studying in the United States. Interested students can contact New Oasis at email@example.com.
Step 1: Completion of the Application
A complete application includes the following:
- A completed Application for Admission and application fee of $100. Priority consideration will be given to applications received by February 1. Applications received after this date will be considered on a space available basis.
- Teacher Reference Forms — two for students applying to grades 9-11. Click here to print our downloadable forms.
- Complete immunization record. Record must include all vaccinations from the birth of the student until the current year. STE requires that students have a complete health examination before coming to the United States, including the results of a TB test or chest x-ray. All vaccinations must be up-to-date, as required by The City of Houston Houston Health and Human Services Department, www.houstontx.gov/health.
- Current photo of the student.
- A copy of the student’s birth certificate or passport.
- Submission of the following records in English:
- Official transcripts from the last two years, signed and sealed
- First semester grades from the current school year, signed and sealed
- Letter from a reputable bank (signed by a bank officer) stating that parents, guardian or student has an account of at least $20,000. (Proof of financial support is required on I-20 form.)
- Students entering grades 9-12 will need to take the Independent School Entrance Exam (ISEE). This test may be taken at our school or any ISEE test site. Go to www.iseetest.org to register. Our ISEE school code is 443433.
Please note: An application will not be processed until all required documents have been received by STE.
Step 2: Family Interview
After we have received your child’s completed application form and fee, contact the Admissions Office at 713.666.3111 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a family interview on campus. Skype interviews will be offered to families living beyond the Houston area. Appointments are made during school hours and must be completed by our Application Materials Deadline for priority admission consideration. The student, and one or both parents, should attend the interview.
*Decision letters will be sent during the middle of March to each candidate who has a complete file and has met published deadlines. If your file is incomplete, or you make application after the published deadlines, the Admissions Committee will make decisions as it is able.
Step 3: Admission Decision
Following the decision for admission by the Admissions Committee, the acceptance letter and enrollment information is sent to the student. Annual tuition and student fees must be paid in full, with a cashier’s check or money order, by June 1. Tuition and fees are non-refundable unless the Visa is denied. I-20 students are not eligible to apply for financial assistance.
For the first year of enrollment, $10,000 is assessed in addition to domestic tuition. Each year thereafter, $3,000 is assessed in addition to domestic tuition. Please refer to our tuition and fee schedule for details regarding fees and other payments.
Sometimes, when the student arrives in the United States, additional testing may be required to help with placing in the correct classes or grade level. STE reserves the right to require a student to withdraw from school who is not making satisfactory progress in English and other subjects during the first semester.
International students are only allowed to enter STE in grades 9, 10, or 11. Exceptions to admit grade 12 international students may be made if the student has attended multiple years of U.S. schooling.
Issuing the I-20
Upon acceptance to STE and return of the Enrollment Contract, payment of tuition and fees, and completed I-134 Affidavit of Support, the I-20 will be issued to the student. This document is the basis for receiving a F-1 Visa status from the United States Department of Homeland Security. The I-134 Affidavit of Support is required upon arrival to the school. Within two weeks before starting school, the student is required to secure medical insurance in the United States. STE does not provide medical insurance.
Payment of I-901 Fee
All applicants applying for an F-1 Visa must also pay the I-901 Fee. This fee of $200 is paid to the U.S. Government. It can be paid online at www.fmjfee.com. The family must have the receipt for payment of the I-901 fee before going to the U.S. Consulate/Embassy for an appointment. The student must also have a Sevis identification number (found in the upper right area on the I-20) before the fee can be paid. Go to the SEVIS website for more information.
There are specific Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools (TAPPS) rules that apply to sports participation for international students that STE is required to meet. International student applicants should request an athletic eligibility determination before a final decision to seek admission to STE if school sports team participation is desired.